Tuesday, July 15, 2008

#30: BlueTooth Headsets

So I'm in the airport at a restaurant a few days ago and, as I've been known to do, I do some "people watching." The airports are great for people watching. Funny, a lot of people say that, but I wonder if they ever want to be the one who's being watched. Anyway, my focus turns to this family sitting at a table near me. It's a mom, a dad and two kids--both girls. One of the girls tells her mom that she needs to "go potty." The wife turns to her husband and asks:

"Do you know where the restroom is?"

"I don't think it's necessary." He responds.

She, thinking he misunderstood the question, asks again.

"No honey, the bathroom. Do you know where the bathroom is?"

"No, no, no." He insisted. "We've been through all that. I still don't think it's necessary." Then he, realizing she was talking to him, says in a rather annoyed tone:

"Hold on a sec. What? I'm talking to someone here."

Then I notice, protruding out of his ear like some sort of robocop headgear attachment is one of those dreaded bluetooth contraptions. Ugh.

Let's be honest: New technology is great. In my lifetime I have seen a massive proliferation of new technology: the internet, the laptop computer, the cell phone, DVDs, plasma TVs...etc. But none of them has annoyed me more than those ridiculous little wireless earpieces. And I gotta tell you, I think they just plain look ridiculous.

I'm not saying they're absolutely worthless. I can understand using it while you're driving...or while trying to take notes during a conference call. But at the dinner table with your family? C'mon!

I bet you too, that EVERY SINGLE PERSON who has worn one, has pretended to be talking to someone when they really aren't. Whether it's because they're trying to avoid someone, or trying to "look important", I gaurantee they've pretended to be on the other line with someone at some point.

Blue Tooth Headsets: You are pretentious...rude...and downright unattractive. And, oh yeah...You Suck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"...robocop headgear attachment" That was a cool movie.

I've never had one or desired to have one. I just look at the people chatting away ((w/ themselves as far as I'm concerned)), w/ a look of horror and digust. They don't care but it makes me feel better.

The best yet is having an innocent eyed 6 year old look up at you when standing w/in whisper distance of one of these suckages and say loudly in kid fashion "Mommy, what's wrong w/ him."