Tuesday, May 20, 2008

#18: Drive-Thru Tip Jars

This "Thing That Sucks" is brought to you by Monique. Thanks for the idea, Monique! It just so happens I have a story to go with this idea:

So this past Saturday I was at Sonic. I pull up to the drive-thru...there's one car in front of me. That person places their order and drives up to the window. So, I inch up to the speaker.

:pause:

:pause:

"Hello?" I ask. Not rudely...just wondering if they know I'm here.

"Hold just a minute please sir." This young boy's voice says.

So I hold. And I hold. And I hold. Three minutes go by. The car in front of me has now left with it's order. There are now four cars behind me. And I still haven't placed my order yet.

"Hello?" I ask again. Perhaps not as politely as the time before.

After a few seconds pause. "Just one more minute please sir."

I look around. It's not like the restaurant is packed. There are maybe four other cars in all of the stalls. By now, the lady behind me is trying to find a way to get out of the line. She's tired of waiting.

Finally, the voice comes back.

"How can I help you today?" (Hmmm...what a loaded question. You could start by not making me wait 5 minutes to place my order you little *&^%$#!) But I refrain.

"Two Ocean Water Slushes please."

"I'm sorry. Our slush machine isn't working today."

:Aaaaaaaargh!:

"Okay, then two large Ocean Waters please."

"Please pull up to the window." I do and there's the kid who looks no more than 14 years old. I don't know if it's his first day on the job or what, but he's struggling just to figure out how to fill two cups with ice, Sprite and coconut flavoring. Meanwhile, there's three other workers inside. Guess what they're doing? Eating. That's right. It's lunch break for the Sonic crew while Einstein here tries to manage the window by himself.

As I get ready to leave, I notice a tip jar sitting outside the window. You're kidding, right?

Here's your tip: Quit your dayjob.

Let's be honest: It's difficult enough to get a teenage boy to think about anyone other than himself and girls. But it's not like these are the most difficult jobs in the world either. You take the order, you fill the order. You take the money, you make change. And now, I'm supposed to tip you too? Whatever!

Drive-Thru Tip Jars: You Suck.

No comments: